Swinger Party

Last week's question: What is the legal status of the verdicts shown on court tv programs?

Apparently, the legality and degree of legal binding for these shows are done on a per show basis. The People's Court's verdict is supposed to be binding, as are the verdicts in Judge Judy. Judge Joe Brown's verdicts, however, has no real judicial power. What makes this partially interesting is that both the persecutor and the defendant are paid some amount to be on the show, and whatever damages award at the end are deducted/added to that payment as necessary. The only advantage to doing this over going to actual small claims court (which has a similar damage limit of $5,000) is that you get more publicity, and you don't have to get a lawyer. Still, I would never do something like that even if the public might be on my side. I just can't take seriously people who want to go on TV during a court case.

This week's question: I've visiting a local playground a lot lately, suddenly being in the mood to play on the swings. But why do kids (and adults) like to play on swings and slides?

2 comments :

  1. 1. Nostalgia (for adults)
    2. Because I'm still the same height as I was when I was 12 and the swings still fit me very well
    3. I used to wonder if I would fly if I let go at the highest point, but I have never let go - every time I swing I think about it. That's one of the things that keeps me going back to the swing, I guess - that possibility.
    4. I also wondered if I could swing upside down and turn a full circle, like that girl from Recess.
    5. One of the most exhilarating things to do on a swing is to close your eyes and swing without gripping the chains. It's like a rollercoaster!

    From
    Occasional Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it's the thrill of being able to hurtle upwards, and then shoot down, only to have it all happen all over again. It's also fun that your own momentum is what's entertaining you... it's fun to see how high you can get on your own power.

    ReplyDelete