Linux Apps

I had the time to install a few more Linux apps on my laptop, to sort of round out my system. These were all apps that I either lived without before, or had a simpler app in its place.

The apps I installed were:

Rhythmbox

A music player inspired by iTunes. It's not quite as smooth as iTunes, and doesn't have all the frills either, like cover flow or all that. It does, however, beat my previous media players, which were alsaplayer, wxvlc. alsaplayer is a really light weight player, and is the player I use the most. wxvlc (Video Lan Player) is great for playing all kind of different file types, and I have used it on occasion in Windows to play Ogg Vorbis files.

What these lack, however, is a media library capability. I can't see all my files at once, and there's no easy way to organize my songs. Since I've moved all my stuff from the shared partition between Windows and Linux (and I can't run iTunes with Wine), I need something to keep track of my entire library. Hence, Rhythmbox.

Thunar

A file manager. For those unfamiliar with this term, it's the equivalent of Finder in OS X and Windows Explorer in Windows. I never really needed one, and to be honest I still don't need one. I use a terminal (gnome-terminal) mostly, and can do all my stuff there with access to the command line and everything. I don't really know why I installed Thunar. It's kind of fun to do with graphical file managers again though.

GnomeBaker

A CD/DVD burner. I'm trying to move further away from Windows, so this a replacement for ImgBurn. Haven't tried it out yet, but I plan to use it to burn an Ubuntu 7.04 install disc. Since I cleared my shared partition, I'll be playing with Ubuntu once again.

Next I'll be tackling wireless and VPN problems on Arch. If Ubuntu have those set up already, I'm hoping I can steal some configuration files to help me out.

No comments

Post a Comment